Trademark Standards for Use
Mattermost, Inc. has invested resources in and uses the following trademarks to designate its goods and services: Mattermost.
Use of any Mattermost, Inc. trademark must be in accordance with this policy. Mattermost, Inc.’s trademark policy was created to ensure Mattermost, Inc.’s trademarks remain reliable indicators of the source and quality of Mattermost, Inc’s products and services. At the same time, this policy aims to create a framework through which community members, software distributors, and others can both discuss Mattermost, Inc.’s products and services, and accurately describe their affiliation with Mattermost, Inc.
The central requirement of Mattermost, Inc.’s trademark policy is that the use of Mattermost, Inc’s trademarks be non-confusing and non-disparaging. By non-confusing, we mean that it should always be clear to consumers who they are dealing with and where the software they are downloading came from. Websites and software not produced by Mattermost, Inc. must not imply (either directly or through omission) that they are produced by Mattermost, Inc. By non-disparaging, we mean that outside of the boundaries of fair use, our trademarks are not to be used to in a way that defames us or detracts from our reputation.
This central requirement is reflected in the specific rules outlined below.
The Mattermost, Inc. trademarks will remain the sole property of Mattermost, Inc. All use and goodwill associated with the Mattermost, Inc. trademarks will inure to the benefit of Mattermost, Inc.
Standards for Use
All uses of Mattermost, Inc. trademarks must conform to the following:
- Prior to any use of any Mattermost, Inc. trademarks, you must submit the proposed use for Mattermost, Inc.’s prior written approval. Mattermost, Inc. may, in its sole discretion, approve or reject such use, and Mattermost, Inc. will notify you promptly of the approval or rejection.
- You may use the Mattermost, Inc. trademarks only to identify and distinguish Mattermost, Inc. products and services. The Mattermost, Inc. trademarks may not be applied to products or services provided by anyone other than Mattermost, Inc., except as authorized in writing by Mattermost, Inc.
- Always use Mattermost, Inc. trademarks in an approved manner. You may not alter trademarks by abbreviation, by combining or hyphenating the trademark with another word, or through other means.
- You may use the Mattermost, Inc. trademarks only as adjectives and never as nouns or verbs. You may not use any Mattermost, Inc. trademark in possessive form.
- Mattermost, Inc. trademarks may only be used with the correct form of notice of registration. The correct notice to be used in association with trademarks depends on whether or not the mark is registered in the applicable jurisdiction. If it is not registered, the notice or the word “trademark” or the symbol “TM” or “SM” should be used in association with the trademark. If it is registered in the applicable jurisdiction, the ® should be used. These notices should be placed adjacent to the trademark and be given on all advertising materials, and on product labeling, computer screens, and other uses. Where a trademark is used more than once in a single display, the notice should be placed at the first or most prominent use of the trademark.
- Include a statement of ownership in the document in which the Mattermost, Inc. trademark is used. This attribution of ownership should take the form: “[TRADEMARK] is a trademark of Mattermost, Inc.”
- When you use a Mattermost, Inc. trademark in a non-stylized form, such as in the body of text of an advertisement, it must be set apart and distinguished from the other words in the text. In order to do this, the trademark should be rendered in boldface type, italics, all capital letters, set in quotation marks or underlined.
- Each representation of a Mattermost, Inc. trademark should be consistent, undistorted, and clear. The logo may not be used in a size so small that any design feature of the mark is lost. In general, this will mean that the logo must appear by itself, in a reasonable size, with reasonable spacing (at least the height of the logo) between each side of the logo and other graphic or textual element. The logo must appear in exactly the same spatial relationship as set forth in any graphic standards information provided by Mattermost, Inc.
- You may not use any Mattermost, Inc. trademark in any advertising or material in violation of any applicable law, ordinance or regulation of any country.
- You may not use any Mattermost, Inc. trademark in a misleading way.
- You may not use any Mattermost, Inc. trademark on or in connection with any defamatory, scandalous, pornographic or other objectionable materials of any sort.
- You may not use any Mattermost, Inc. trademark to disparage Mattermost, Inc. or its products or services, or in a manner which, in Mattermost, Inc.’s reasonable judgment, may diminish or otherwise damage Mattermost, Inc.’s goodwill in any Mattermost, Inc. trademark.
- You may not take any action that would in any way tarnish or dilute the value of the Mattermost, Inc. trademarks.
- You may not adopt, use or attempt to register with any agency in any jurisdiction the trademark “Mattermost”, or any trademark, trade name, service mark, logo or domain name consisting of, in whole or in part, the word “Mattermost” or any marks confusingly similar to any Mattermost, Inc. trademark.
- If you become aware of any infringement, actual or suspected, or any other unauthorized use of any Mattermost, Inc. trademark, you will promptly give notice to Mattermost, Inc. in writing, specifying the particulars of the unauthorized use.
- If, at any time, Mattermost, Inc. objects to your improper use of any Mattermost, Inc. trademark, you agree to take such steps as may be necessary to resolve Mattermost, Inc.’s objections.
Services Related to Mattermost Products
If you offer services related to Mattermost software, you may use Mattermost, Inc.’s trademarks in describing and advertising your services as long as you don’t violate these overall guidelines for the use of Mattermost, Inc.’s trademarks. Your use of Mattermost, Inc.’s trademarks must not mislead consumers into thinking that Mattermost, Inc. has any direct relationship with your organization, unless you have obtained Mattermost, Inc.’s prior written consent.
You may not include any Mattermost, Inc. trademarks in a domain name controlled by you without the prior written consent of Mattermost.
If you’re considering a use of a Mattermost, Inc. trademark that falls outside the scope of this policy, or have any other questions, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org